Fire damages Schroon Home

Firefighters from two counties spend more than five hours at the scene of a blaze that severely damaged a home on Old Schroon Road Sunday night.

The damage was caused by a fire in a chimney  which quickly spread, according to a report in the PostStar.

Don Jaquish, the Essex County fire coordinator, told the Poststar that quick thinking by the home’s residents kept the blaze from spreading. 

 "The people in the home did a heck of a job keeping the fire from spreading too far at the beginning,” he said. “They were doing it with fire extinguishers and a garden hose".