By Annette Batson
There’s a very positive story about our hamlet that Schroon Lake friends are sharing on social media right now - why Schroon might be the most under rated winter destination in the country.
The story lists five reasons why, including snow mobiling ice fishing, skiing at nearby by Gore, snow shoeing at the Natural Stones Bridge and Caves with a few mentions of several fine area businesses.
But there are a several huge omissions that Schroonlaker.com feels need to be highlighted:
1. To start with, let’s remember the Town’s Ski Tow at the golf course! This is a terrific outing for families with young kids, and it’s FREE!
2. There are an abundance of programs offered by the Schroon Lake Library. FREE!
3. Besides a plug for Sticks and Stones and Witherbee’s as great places to eat, we’d like to add to the list Flanagan’s Pub, The Timberwolf, DeCesare’s Pizza, Alpine Pizza and Pitkin’s!
4. As for retail love, how can one forget Pine Cone Mercantile and North Woods Bread Company? This gem on Main Street is the only year round anchor store, which has become a destination stop for those seeking unique Adirondack home furnishings and amazing home-baked goodies.
The bakery also features divine ADK cheeses, home made granola (our fave is the Banana Nut) and some of the most delicious coffee around, brewed as well as in beans.
5. Another year round destination is the Adirondack General Store in the lakeside hamlet of Adirondack, with home-made country breakfasts and lunches, a large vintage candy counter and a whole lot of Adirondack gifts and shopping.
6. While you are on the East shore of the lake, don’t miss the family, pet, and kid friendly forest walks at Gull Pond and Goose Pond. These walks are doable all year round. Pull your car right up to the trailheads. There’s a big payoff at the end of each trail.
7. We would be remiss if we didn’t mention one of the most appreciated new businesses that calls Schroon Lake home: Schroon Lake Wine and Liquors. No longer do you have to make a long trek South on the Northway to find a large and eclectic selection of wine and spirits. Thank you Jared Doyle.
8. Where are you going to stay during your visit to Schroon? We have several year-round inns, B&Bs and other accommodations. For winter sports fans there’s The Schroon Lake Place, right on the lake (especially handy for ice fishing and sledding), the newly renovated Adirondack Inn, The Tumble Inn with it’s famous thick robes, Jacuzzi tub and breakfasts, Mark and Sharon Piper’s Schroon Lake B&B, The Rocky Acres B&B, Rowes Cabins and the Maple Leaf, to name a few, all can offer a cozy, huddle by the fireplace winter getaway experience.
9A. Schroon's Wellness And Fitness Community. True North Yoga, Schroon Massage and Schroon Cycle operate all year round. A great way to keep in shape and revitalize your mind and body.
9. And any stop to Schroon must include a stop at Stewarts and the Mount Severance Store. No matter what time of the year, it’s always time for ice cream at Stewarts. For killer subs and sandwiches, camping necessities and souvenir tchotchkes, check out the Mount Severance Store.
10. Last but not least, let’s be frank: Schroon Lake is a small, authentic community with a real Adirondack feel. Come and you will discover the peace and beauty of the wilderness blanketed in nature’s white brilliance. It’s a place to heal the soul.
If we’ve forgotten someone, let us know in comments!