Picture: Paul Scarron
By Ann Breen Metcalfe
1750s Schroon Named
During the French and Indian War French soldiers were stationed at Crown Point. They were probably admirers of the popular poet Paul Scarron and his wife Mme. Scarron de Maintenon, and may have named the lake for them.
1780s Settlers Arrive
After the Revolution it became public policy to settle the Adirondacks and other unpopulated regions. The Great Northern Turnpike (now Rt. 9) was built and settlers started farming the Schroon Valley. Anthony Hoffman created the Hoffman Township.
Stagecoach delivering tourists to a waiting boat
1872 Tourists Arrive
The Adirondack Railroad from Saratoga to North Creek opened on the route tourist trains use today. Visitors detrained at Riparius, went by stagecoach to Schroon Lake and by steamboat to Taylor House (Scaroon Manor}, Grove Point House, Leland House, etc.
The Leland House
1900 Jews Welcomed
Schroon became first Adirondack community to invite previously-excluded Jewish guests. The Emerson brothers initiated this move at the Leland House.
1905 Schroon Lake Camp Founded
Rabbi Isaac Moses started the camp (where Skylark is today) and many other children’s camps, among them Cayuga, Idywold, Eldee, Nawita, Paradox, Pyramid, Redwing, Rondack, Severance and Woodmere, followed suit.
Tomorrow: The impact of The Seagle Music Colony and the automobile on Schroon Lake